Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Idea For A Story

I'm not going into detail because I've done that enough over the last three weeks or so. Besides, what is it they say about the devil and details? What if there's no devil, however? Anyway.

It's a little late and I'm trying very hard to finish off a story that I want to send to the person who inspired it. It didn't help me very much she also said she would like me to share it once it's complete. But every time I start, discard lots of it, and start again, I seem to get a little muddled. My tiny brain keeps falling into, not automatic pilot, but cruising speed: when it comes to stories, I know what I'm good at and that's what I fall back on. Before I gave myself this exercise, I thought it would all come into place. I always think that about stories when I sit down and jot down my initial idea. Because every idea deserves to be fleshed out, there will always be a story, because every thought begs to be recorded. Of course, this isn't the case. I have files all over my desktop and my external storage with loads of snippets of things that at one point were the most important thing to me. Story wise, I mean. I never sit down and think what I want to say with it, what's its purpose, what will it mean. Because sometimes a pop song isn't just a pop song...but not everything needs more depth than a good story.

Maybe that's all I want, a good story. A pop song. Something bright and shiny that will make me want to get up and dance naked the way I've been for the last couple of hours.

So, here I am reading in the middle of the night, headset set to loud, smoking cigarettes, sitting naked at my desk, writing little bits here and there, refreshing tumblr, and wondering what it could've meant, all those stories - no, ideas - I have saved and filed away on my computers. And my fall back answer is not all of them would've been much to spent the time on. But all it could've mattered is one of them would've been something amazing. One of them would be great. Just one.

No comments:

Post a Comment