Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Round Two

Yesterday I went for my second doctor's appointment for 2010. Honestly, it seems as if it was only a few weeks ago, not months, that I was there, imagining how far away July was. It was February then.

So, I talk to my doctor about the loss of my job, and the aches in my knees. He talks to me about a couple of things that I wasn't so much expecting...well, one I knew. I gained a substantial amount of weight since last I saw him. That's a given. Something that I see while trying to run, and daily in the mirror. The other thing isn't so easy to tell because I feel perfectly okay. My doctor says my cholesterol's climbed somewhat, not alarmingly, but enough that he suggests eating better. And he says my liver seems to be working a little more than normal. He says it could be my body's way of fighting the weight gain, and it's affecting the my liver. He asks me whether or not I've been taking pain medication regularly and he asks me whether or not I've been drinking regularly, even if not to excess. Everything answered, he says it's nothing to really be concerned with, but he'd still rather see what's going on with my liver so he says he'll schedule a liver sonogram just to see what's going on.

Of course, the way my brain works - and, honestly, the way it seems to go with doctors and me - I'm already waiting to hear about some liver damage. Perhaps something a bit more substantial? And even though I am not prone to weird delusions or hypochondria, I've this feeling that, well, something else is going to come up, whether serious or not. My joke and my older brother's is that, what if all those years of heavy boozing are now showing themselves, now that I'm sick and gained weight and have severely cut in my physical activities. It's a joke, did I say?

It wouldn't be surprising if it was *something*. I really hope there isn't anything further to be made of this that can't be resolved by better diet and more exercise. Nevermind physically, but the way things this second quarter of 2010 have been, I don't think I could take more emotionally.

* * *

Finished watching Spike Lee's 25th HOUR just now. Perfect film based off a perfect novel. Perfectly cast and acted, the script is particularly brilliant (David Benioff wrote both, the source novel and screenplay), and the direction and cinematography are also perfect. The thing I like the least about it is Terence Blanchard's score, not that it is bad, but perhaps a bit too melodramatic for the movie. Anyway, perfect...

No comments:

Post a Comment